Paul is a practising physician and Professor of Medicine at Monash University in Melbourne and Executive Director of the international NGO Global Reconciliation.
He has a PhD in philosophy and an international reputation in health care ethics and has made a major impact on the field of clinical ethics in Australia.
Paul’s work is interdisciplinary: spanning clinical medicine, biomedical research, social research, philosophy and ethical theory, clinical ethics, and policy development with respect to ethics and clinical practice.
Paul has authored over 500 scientific articles and 17 books. He is the Chair of the editorial board of the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry and honorary ethics editor for the Internal Medicine Journal. He is extensively involved in the teaching of ethics and the philosophy of medicine at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
He is actively involved in research projects of both a qualitative and a quantitative nature, covering clinical trials, laboratory research, social science research and ethics research. He is also:
- Director, Centre for the Study of Ethics in Medicine and Society
- Member, AMA Ethics and Medicolegal Committee
- Member, Alfred Hospital General Issues Ethics Committee
- Former chair, Ethics Committee of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and Ethics Advisory Committee of the US Endocrine Society
- Former President, Adult Medicine Division, RACP
- Former chair, Quality Use of Complementary Medicines