Paul is a practicing physician and Professor of Medicine at Monash University in Melbourne, RACP Adult Medicine Division President and Executive Director of the international NGO Global Reconciliation.
He has a PhD in philosophy and an international reputation in health care ethics, and has made a major impact on the field of clinical ethics in Australia.
Paul’s work is interdisciplinary: spanning clinical medicine, biomedical research, social research, philosophy and ethical theory, clinical ethics and policy development with respect to ethics and clinical practice.
Paul has authored over 400 scientific articles and 14 books. He is the Chair of the editorial board of the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry and honorary ethics editor for the Internal Medicine Journal. He is extensively involved in the teaching of ethics and the philosophy of medicine at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
He is actively involved in research projects in clinical ethics, including investigations of complementary medicine and relationships with pharmaceutical industry.
- Director, Centre for the Study of Ethics in Medicine and Society
- Member, Alfred Hospital General Issues Ethics Committee
- Former chair, Ethics Committee of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and Ethics Advisory Committee of the US Endocrine Society
- Executive Director, Global Reconciliation
- President Adult Medicine Division, RACP
- Chair Quality Use of Complementary Medicines